The popularity of broccoli has increased tremendously as a diet friendly food, especially amongst keto dieters. This exotic vegetable has ample of nutrients, vitamins and minerals that may not only help prevent or reduce the risk of several diseases, but also aids in weight loss. When trying to lose weight, we should look for food that keeps us fuller for longer (since it prevents us from over eating) especially those which are high in proteins and fiber. Broccoli is one such versatile and tasty vegetable loaded with lots of proteins and fiber that can be adapted easily in every cuisine. Here are 3 simple and best broccoli recipes.
3 Broccoli Recipes for Weight Loss:
- Broccoli Salad
- Broccoli Chutney
- Steamed Crispy Broccoli
1. Broccoli Salad
Nothing can be as refreshing, healthy, quick, easy and gluten free recipe as this broccoli salad and you will never grow tired of it.
- Broccoli (2 cups)
- Paneer cubes (1 cup)
- Carrots (diced, 1 cup)
- Red Yellow Bell peppers (diced, 1 cup)
- Olive Oil – 2 teaspoons
- Salt, Lemon juice and Garlic powder (as required)
How to Prepare:
Bring 4 cups of water to a boil in a frying pan. Add pinch of salt and 2 cups of clean broccoli florets to it. Cover and steam for 2 minutes until crisp tender. Turn off the flame and strain the water.
Now mix the steamed broccoli, paneer cubes, carrot cubes, diced bell peppers and 2 teaspoons of olive oil. Add 2 teaspoons of Lemon juice. Sprinkle a pinch of salt and garlic powder ( as per your taste) and mix it well.
Enjoy the healthy refreshing salad.
2. Broccoli Chutney:
This authentic and unique broccoli chutney is my all time favorite and it has its own refreshing flavor.
- Broccoli (1 cup, around 15 to 20 florets)
- Onion ( diced, 1 cup)
- 1 tablespoon of Olive oil
- 2 teaspoons of Chopped Ginger
- 5 to 6 Garlic cloves ( chopped)
- 2 green chilies
- 1 teaspoon of Cumin Seeds
- Coriander leaves
- Lemon juice
How to Prepare:
Bring 2 cups of water to a boil in a frying pan. Add clean broccoli florets to it. Cover the steam for 3 minutes until soft tender. Turn off the flame and strain the water.
Heat 1 tablespoon of Olive oil in a frying pan on a low medium heat. Add 1 teaspoon of Cumin seeds, chopped onions, garlic, ginger, chilies and steamed broccoli florets. Stir fry for 3 minutes over low-medium heat.
Turn off the flame and cool slightly. Pour the mixture in a blender or a food processor. Add coriander leaves and 2 teaspoons of lemon juice. Grind it to a smooth paste.
You can serve this chutney as a dip for idli, dosa or you can serve as a side with rice or roti.
3. Steamed Broccoli:
This one is the easiest and quickest recipe which will save you a lot of time without compromising on taste.
- 1 teaspoon of Olive oil
- 1 teaspoon of Cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon of sesame seeds
- Salt to taste
- Garlic powder and onion powder
How to Prepare:
Bring 4 cups of water to a boil in a frying pan. Add a pinch of salt and 2 cups of clean broccoli florets to it. Cover and steam for 2 minutes until crisp tender. Turn off the flame and strain the water.
Heat about 1 teaspoon of Olive oil in a frying pan on a low medium flame. Add cumin seeds, sesame seeds and broccoli florets. Stir fry for 3 minutes and turn off the flame. Sprinkle a bit of salt, garlic powder and onion powder. Enjoy crispy Broccoli!
Benefits of eating Broccoli:
- The fiber content in broccoli makes it a very relevant vegetable as it keeps you fuller for a longer time and prevents you from binge eating. Fiber can slow down the absorption of sugar, hence it prevents excess sugar storage as fat. The fiber content in broccoli also reduces the blood LDL cholesterol levels.
- It may be surprising but broccoli is 90 percent water. The highest benefit of water content food is they are low in calories. Hence, you eat satisfying amount of food portion without putting on calories.
- Broccoli is most known for its cancer fighting abilities. It can help prevent breast cancer. It boosts your immunity preventing you from various diseases as well.
- It is an excellent source of Vitamin C and has powerful anti-oxidants which helps to maintain a youthful look. It fights free radicals and prevents the early signs of aging like wrinkles.