A company-best cake recipe with real WOW factor, from my recipe archives. Originally from the Betty Crocker Recipe Card Library (1971) though the recipe is no longer found on the bettycrocker.com website. So glad to have this in my collection, as angel food cakes are my absolute favorites and this one is a standout. Be sure to allow 4 hours time needed to chill this cake to make it firm enough for slicing.
- 1 angel food cake mix, baked according to package directions and cooled
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 3/4 cup cocoa (or substitute 1/2 cup special dark blend cocoa)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon almond extract (optional)
- 2/3 cup slivered almonds, divided
- Place large empty mixing bowl in fridge to chill for whipping cream.
- Slice off entire TOP of cake horizontally about 1″ down; set aside (see photo). Be sure not to slice off the BOTTOM cake base which is the larger diameter.
- Make cuts down into cake that are 1″ from outer edges and 1″ from inner hole but which extend just to within 1″ above bottom of cake. Using a curved knife or serrated spoon, scoop out cake within the cuts being careful to leave a 1″ cake base at bottom intact. Reserve scooped out cake pieces for another use such as fruit trifle.
- Sift together the measured powdered sugar, cocoa and salt in medium size bowl. In large chilled bowl beat whipping cream, sifted cocoa mixture and (optional) almond extract until stiff peaks form.
- Remove half of the whipped cream mixture to another bowl and set aside. To remaining half, fold in 1/3 cup of the almonds. Spoon this carefully into cake cavity, pressing lightly to avoid holes in cut slices. Replace top of cake and press down gently.
- Frost cake on all sides and the top with set-aside whipped cream mixture. Sprinkle top with remaining 1/3 cup almonds. Chill at least 4 hours to set cake, before serving.
- YIELD: 16 servings