This is an excellent, flavorful side dish that goes really well with fish, shrimp, or chicken. It’s like a mild version of a Briyani…easy to make and full of healthy ingredients. I thought the Parmesan cheese was weird addition, but the flavor blends nicely and it isn’t over powering. Enjoy!
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 cup basmati rice (uncooked)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup low-fat chicken broth
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- 1/4 cup toasted pine nuts
- 3 Tbsps Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 Tbsp fresh basil, chopped
- 1 tsp fresh thyme, chopped
- 1/2 tsp fresh ground black pepper
- 2 Tbsps chopped fresh Cilantro (optional)
- Heat oil in medium skillet on high heat. Add rice and garlic to the pan and saute for 2 minutes to toast rice. Add water, broth, and salt to the pan and bring to boil.
- Cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 15 minutes, or until rice is tender.
- Remove from heat and let stand for 5 minutes. Stir in green onions, pine nuts, Parmesan, basil, thyme, pepper and Cilantro. Fluff and serve!