This is a wonderful and refreshing salad from the book, Great Vegetarian Dishes, by Kurma Dasa. This my favorite and has never failed to please my guests.
- 1/1 a medium cabbage (inner leaves only) finely shredded* (about 6 cups)
- 4 medium tomatoes, finely chopped
- ½ cup ground, roasted peanuts
- 2/3 cup grated fresh coconut
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar (regular sugar is also ok)
- 6 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons oil
- ½ teaspoon mustard seeds
- ½ teaspoon cumin seeds
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric
- ½ teaspoon asafoetida powder
- 1 tablespoon hot green chili, seeded and minced
- 4 tablespoons coarsely chopped, fresh coriander leaves
- you can also use the coleslaw cabbage packet available in the grocery store.
- Place the cabbage, tomato, peanut powder, coconut, salt, sugar, and lemon juice in a large bowl. Mix well and set aside.
- Fry the mustard seeds in oil in a small pan over moderate heat until they crackle. Add the cumin seeds, turmeric, asafetida, and green chili. Fry until the cumin seeds turn a darker shade. Remove from the heat. Add these above prepared spices to the cabbage. Toss the salad thoroughly and make sure that the spices have been properly mixed in.
- Garnish with the coriander leaves. Chill and serve cold. The longer you keep this salad, the better it tastes. Make this at least 1 hour ahead and chill in the refrigerator. This develops the taste.