This is the only pecan pie recipe you will ever need. Trust me on this. My pecan-pie-hating friend Jerry sampled it one time, and became a believer, as have others! This is a great make-ahead pie as it freezes well. After baking and cooling, wrap in moisture-vapor proof wrap and freeze until the dinner party. This recipe has been an “heirloom” in the family for years and years. Other pecan pie recipes are good, but you’re gonna LOVE this one! See photos of pie at various stages.
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup brown sugar packed
- 3 large eggs
- 3/4 cup light corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 and 1/3 cups pecans
- 9 inch unbaked pastry shell
- Topping of choice (optional – whipped cream, ice cream, etc.)
- Set oven at 350 degrees F.
- In medium mixing bowl beat the butter and brown sugar until well mixed, about 1 minute.
- Add eggs and continue beating 1 or 2 more minutes until smooth.
- Beat in corn syrup, vanilla and salt.
- Fold pecans in gently with spatula or spoon.
- Pour into unbaked pastry shell.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes until it begins to brown, then reduce oven heat to 300 degrees and continue baking 30-40 additional minutes, or until knife inserted in middle of pie comes out clean (I don’t like to “ruin” the pie presentation with knife marks so I use the rich brown color of pie top as a clue to doneness, and poke a cake tester in the middle instead of a knife – works for me!)
- Cool on wire rack at least 2 hours or more until thoroughly cooled – do not cut while hot or warm.
- Serve with optional topping of choice.