I have never been a really big fan of cauliflower, but I love potatoes and spices. This dish, known as ‘Alu Ghobi’, has long been a favorite vegetable side dish in my kitchen.
It is simple, easy to make and very healthy for you.
One seldom finds a cauliflower dish on the average restaurant menu. But you need not be a vegetarian to thoroughly enjoy Alu Ghobi along side a roasted chicken or kababs.
If you have never had this dish, and you are not a fan of cauliflower – I urge you to give this a try before you swear off cauliflower forever.
- 1 head of cauliflower, washed and the flowerets cut to fork size
- 2 potatoes, peeled, washed and cubed
- 1 T oil (olive, grapeseed or vegetable)
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp sweet paprika
- 1/2 tsp tumeric
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp ginger paste (1/4 tsp sea salt + 3/4 tsp minced ginger root)
- 1 tsp chopped coriander (cilantro)
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- 3/4 C chicken stock (have more handy – the cauliflower may drink more than its share, so add as appropriate – just don’t let it complete;y dry out)
- 1/2 tsp + pepper
- Make a paste of 3/4 tsp minced ginger and 1/4 tsp sea salt by mashing the minced ginger and salt together with the back of a spoon
- Combine the cumin seeds, minced garlic and ginger paste in a small dish
- Combine the tumeric, ground cumin, paprika in a second small dish
- Have the cubed potatoes in a bowl and
- Have the cauliflower in a bowl
- Heat the oil over medium heat in a medium skillet to shimmering
- Add the cumin seeds, garlic and ginger to the hot oil and move the ingredients around for a minute or so until the garlic begins to become golden
- Add the potatoes and stir to combine
- Deglaze with the chicken stock
- Add the paprika, ground cumin, tumeric and pepper. Stir to coat
- Cover and simmer for 6 minutes with an occasional stir to coat th potatoes well
- Add the cauliflower and chopped cilantro, stirring to combine well
- Reduce to low-meduim heat, cover, with an occasional stir
- Cook for 10 minutes
- When the potatoes and cauliflower are forkable, add the garam masala by gently sifting the 1/2 tsp through a very fine sieve
- Stir to combine and remove from heat, plate and serve