Cucumber Tomato Salad is the best of summers harvest. Crisp cucumbers and luscious tomatoes tossed in a bright and creamy lemon poppy seed dressing. This is my newest obsession.
I could live on salad. I mean I would eat it every day for every meal. There are so many options. I love fresh vegetables and the salad options are endless. The rest of my family…
Well… My daughter is a very particular eater, read ‘picky’. She might get that from her father, although I am not pointing any fingers.
But, she knows what she likes and getting her to eat anything else is such a challenge. Some days I just don’t have the energy to fight it.
Needless to say we have been eating her 2 favorite veggies: cucumbers and broccoli for far too long.
I grew up in a family where we had to sit at the table until your plate was clean, no matter how long it took. I am more of the thought that I want my daughter to try everything I cook.
If she doesn’t love it she can just eat a few bites. If she detests it, just that first bite will do. I try again and again every few weeks to get her to try those ones she didn’t like prepared a different way.
Fresh tomatoes have been a challenge for a long time so last week I decided to try them in a salad with one of her favorite veggies.
Knowing she loves cucumbers, I thought a gorgeous cucumber salad with tomatoes was exactly what we were looking for.
This cucumber tomato salad is absolutely spectacular. Fresh, crunchy and bursting with flavor.
Tossed in a homemade lemon poppy seed dressing that will excite your taste buds, this is surely your new go to salad.
Of course, I devoured it. I truly couldn’t get enough! My daughter… Whomp whomp whomp.
She loved the cucumbers and the dressing. Oh well. Until next time. Fresh tomatoes are apparently a battle for another day.
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoon extra light olive oil
- 1/2 tablespoon poppy seeds
- 1/2 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 English cucumbers, cut into half coins
- 2 cups grape tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 red onion, sliced thin
- Combine lemon juice, sugar, olive oil, poppy seeds, mustard, garlic, salt, and onion powder in a large bowl. Whisk well until dressing is completely combined.
- Add cucumbers, tomatoes, and onion to the bowl. Toss to combine.
- Chill until ready to serve. Enjoy!
If you would like to make this salad ahead, prepare the dressing in a mason jar and toss the salad with it the day you plan to serve it.