This cute and smiling monkey face 1st birthday chocolate cake recipe will be a hit at your child’s first birthday party and earn you many smiling and frosting-covered faces. this 1st birthday cake recipe will surely make your child’s birthday extra special.
Items needed for the cake:
- 1/3 cup of plain flour
- 1/3 cup of corn flour
- 1/3 cup of self-raising flour
- 4 tablespoons of unsweetened cocoa powder
- 4 eggs at room temperature
- 2/3 cup of castor sugar
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla essence (you can use any essence of your choice)
Items needed to decorate the cake:
- 2 fresh chocolate covered doughnuts
- 1 cup of fresh vanilla frosting
- 1/2 cup of chocolate sprinklers
- 2 1/2 cups of chocolate frosting
- 2 brown jelly beans or M&Ms
- 2 Oreo cookies
- 2 teaspoons of mixed fruit jam
- 1 chocolate twizzler
- Piping bags
- – Preheat the oven to 180C.
- – Grease a 9-inch cake pan using a little oil and flour.
- – Separate the whites and yolks of the eggs.
- – Beat the egg whites using an electric blender until the mixture doubles in volume and soft peaks are formed.
- – Add the egg yolks to it, along with the sugar, and beat until you get a pale yellow mix which is three times the volume.
- – Add the vanilla essence to the mix.
- – In a bowl, mix the flours and cocoa powder together.
- – Add the flour and cocoa mix to the egg mixture and fold the mix well.
- – Pour the batter in the cake pan.
- – Bake in the preheated oven for about 25-30 minutes.
- – Remove the cake from the pan and cool on a wire rack before decorating.
- – Place the cake on a 15-inch serving board.
- – Trim the top sides of the cake about 1/2 inch from each side and discard the sides.
- – Trim the doughnuts about 1 inch from the sides.
- – Arrange the cut doughnuts on the cut sides of the cake to make monkey’s ears.
- – Spread a thick layer of chocolate frosting on the top half of the cake and cover the sides too.
- – Add a few drops of red food coloring to 1/2 cup of vanilla frosting to get a pale pink color.
- – Use this frosting on the lower half of the cake to form the mouth and chin portion of the cake. Make it in a kidney bean shape.
- – Use the jelly beans in the center of the cake to make the nose.
- – Pipe the jam on the lower portion of the face in the shape of a smile.
- – Pipe some vanilla frosting in the form of 2 circles on the top half of the cake in place of eyes and place the Oreo cookies in the center of each circle.
- – Press the chocolate sprinklers on the chocolate frosting and scrape the twizzler over the top to form the hair of the monkey.
- – Cool in the fridge before serving.