- 8 tbsp. (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
- 1 c. buttermilk, room temperature
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- ½ c. granulated sugar
- 1 c. all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- 1 c. cornmeal
- ¼ c. honey
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tbsp. unsalted butter, melted (for brushing)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray or lightly butter an 8×8 inch glass or metal baking pan, set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the melted butter, sugar and honey. Whisk in the eggs one at a time, beating until the mixture is smooth. Add the buttermilk and mix to combine.
- In a medium mixing bowl whisk together the flour, cornmeal, salt and baking soda. Gradually add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, stirring with a spatula until only a few lumps remain. Pour the batter into the prepared pan, smoothing the top with the spatula to create an even layer. Allow the batter to sit for 3 minutes
- before placing in the oven to bake.
- Bake for 25-35 minutes or until the top is golden brown and a cake tester inserted into the center comes out clean. You may need to place a piece of foil over the top at the 20 minute mark to prevent over-browning. Remove from the oven, brush the top with butter and allow to cool for 5-10 minutes before slicing and serving.