Every recipe box needs a simple go-to biscuit. These are light, buttery and ready in no time.
Total: 30 min
Active: 15 min
Yield: 16 biscuits
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting (see Cook’s Note)
2 tablespoons baking powder
1 tablespoon sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 1/2 sticks (12 tablespoons) unsalted butter, cut into small pieces and frozen
1 cup buttermilk, plus more for brushing
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Pulse the flour in a food processor with the baking powder, sugar and salt.
- Add the butter and pulse until the butter is in pea-sized pieces.
- Add the buttermilk and pulse a couple of times until the dough just comes together but is not fully incorporated.
- Turn out on to a floured surface and pat into a thick 8-by-8 inch square.
- Cut into sixteen 2-inch square biscuits.
- Arrange on an ungreased baking sheet, brush with buttermilk and bake until golden, 12 to 15 minutes.
When measuring flour, we spoon it into a dry measuring cup and level off the excess. (Scooping directly from the bag compacts the flour, resulting in dry baked goods.)