These taste like a rich biscotti. But the best thing about them is the spooky Halloween look! Try serving them at a Halloween party or bringing them to work. It feels creepy to eat them!
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 1/4 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 bag chips (mix of chocolate and butterscotch) optional
- 2 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- 1 (.75 ounce) tube red decorating gel or strawberry preserves and a little red food coloring (to put on nails)
- Combine the butter, sugar, egg, almond extract, and vanilla extract in a mixing bowl. Beat together with an electric mixer; gradually add the flour, chocolate chips, baking powder, and salt, continually beating; refrigerate 20 to 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Lightly grease baking sheets.
- Remove dough from refrigerator in small amounts. Scoop 1 heaping teaspoon at a time onto a piece of waxed paper. Use the waxed paper to roll the dough into a thin finger-shaped cookie. Press one almond slice into one end of each cookie to give the appearance of a long fingernail. Squeeze cookie near the tip and again near the center of each to give the impression of knuckles. You can also cut into the dough with a sharp knife at the same points to help give a more finger-like appearance.
- Arrange the shaped cookies on the baking sheets.
- Bake in the preheated oven until the cookies are slightly golden in color, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Remove the almond from the end of each cookie; squeeze a small amount of red decorating gel or strawberry preserves with red food coloring into the cavity; replace the almond to cause the gel to ooze out around the tip of the cookie.
- Enjoy your spooky treats!