Hawaiian Doughnuts (or Malasadas) are one of the all time favorite snacks. If you make these, prepare to rapidly become more popular with all of your friends.
- 1 package yeast (1 T)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 6 cups flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup melted butter or margarine
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 6 eggs
- 1 quart vegetable oil
- Dissolve yeast, sugar and water and set aside. Beat eggs.
- Measure flour into mixing bowl and add salt. Make a well in the flour, pour yeast mixture, eggs and other ingredients.
- Beat in circular motion until the dough is soft. Cover, let raise until double. Turn dough over but do not punch down. Cover and let raise again.
- Heat oil to 375 degrees and drop dough by teaspoon full into oil and cook until brown.
- Shake in brown bag with sugar. Best when hot.