This incredibly easy Lemon Curd recipe is sweet, tart, silky smooth and perfect for spreading on all manner of baked goods. Lemon curd is so easy to make in the microwave and blows store bought lemon curd out of the water. It’s simply amazing and so refreshing!
Lemon Curd Recipe
I have been craving citrus lately. I don’t know what it is, but it seems like every January I go on a lemon rampage that just can’t be stopped. I think it’s my body’s way of telling me – ENOUGH WITH THE CHOCOLATE ALREADY TRISH!
Especially when that means I get to indulge in something incredible like this homemade microwave lemon curd. Yep. I totally just said microwave.
What Is Lemon Curd?
If you are a fan of lemons, chances are you’re a BIG fan of lemon curd. I know I am! Lemon curd is essentially wrapping up that tart, refreshing lemon flavor in a smooth, creamy package which makes it perfect for all sorts of recipes.
Lemon curd is a type of preserves. It’s made with sugar, eggs, lemon – of course!, and butter. It can be used for all sorts of recipes. I love topping a vanilla Greek yogurt with a dollop of lemon curd, spreading it on a piece of toast or pound cake, and it makes the perfect filling for cakes and tarts.
Alright. I might as well be honest here. I also eat lemon curd by the spoonful. Especially this kind. Cause I know just how easy it is to whip up another batch 🙂 Danger, people. Danger.
Now I’m sure many of you will be skeptical. I mean, lemon curd in the microwave? Sounds a little far-fetched, I admit. But try this once, just once, and I know you’ll be convinced.
What Do I Need To Make Lemon Curd
You guys. Not a whole lot. I mean, how simple is this:
- lemons – both the juice and the zest
That’s right! Just 4 simple ingredients that you probably have on hand. This easy lemon curd
The bright tangy flavor and cheerfully bold yellow color will have you smiling in no time. Even on a cold, gloomy day in January.
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 cup fresh lemon juice
- lemon zest from 3 lemons
- Melt butter in microwave, set aside to cool slightly.
- Whisk together sugar and eggs in a medium-sized microwave-safe bowl.
- Whisk in lemon juice and zest.
- Finally whisk in the butter.
- Microwave on 50% power for one minute. Stir.
- Continue microwaving at 100% power in one minute intervals, stirring after each interval until the mixture is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon. (The curd will thicken as it cools.)
- Strain curd through a fine-mesh sieve to remove zest.
- Pour curd into sterile jars and store for up to three weeks in the refrigerator.
- Makes 1 pint or 2 cups.
Calories: 86kcal | Carbohydrates: 11g | Fat: 4g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 38mg | Sodium: 8mg | Potassium: 18mg | Sugar: 10g | Vitamin A: 3.2% | Vitamin C: 4.8% | Calcium: 0.6% | Iron: 0.7%