This recipe was suggested to me by my good friend and walking partner Keri. We chat about everything while we walk, especially food. Thanks Keri
This is my low carb version of Olive Garden’s Caprese Chicken. All I can say is Wow!! This is absolutely delicious! My family raved over this one, saying it was one of my top 5 best recipes. I used Dreamfields Low Carb Pasta, and breaded the chicken with my Baking Mix, but you can use any low carb breading that you like. You can make a good “mock” buttermilk to dip the chicken in prior to dredging in flour by adding 1 tbls white vinegar to a bowl and adding 1 cup of half & half to it. Let it sit for 5 minutes and it thickens just like buttermilk, but without the added carbs, gotta love that.
- 5 plum tomatoes chopped
- 10 fresh basil leaves chopped
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 4 tbls extra virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup dry white wine
- 1-1/2 tbls minced garlic
- 1-1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1 tbls white vinegar
- 3 tsp Italian seasoning
- 3/4 cup Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup half & half
- 1-1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1-1/2 cups of my Baking Mix or low carb breading
- 1 box Dreamfields spaghetti
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup oil for frying chicken
- Dice tomatoes and basil leaves and put into a medium sized bowl. Add 2 tbls of olive oil, 1 tbls of minced garlic, 1 tsp Italian seasonings and 1/2 tsp of salt, stir to combine and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees, and start cooking pasta. In a shallow bowl add 1-1/2 cups of Baking Mix, 2 tsp of Italian seasoning and salt and pepper to taste.
- In another shallow bowl add 1 tbls white vinegar and half & half, let sit 5 minutes or until thickened. Add oil to a fry pan over medium-high heat. Dip chicken breasts into half and half and then dredge in the Baking Mix. Add chicken to pan and fry until golden brown. Place chicken onto a baking sheet and bake for 15-20 minutes, or until no longer pink.
- While chicken is cooking, heat 2 tbls of olive oil in a fry pan over medium heat and saute 1/2 tbls minced garlic but do not brown. Add 1 tbls of my Baking Mix and wisk until smooth and thickened. Stir in the liquid from the tomato and basil mixture and add the 1/2 cup of white wine, bring to a boil for 1 minute. Add heavy cream and reduce heat to low, stir in Parmesan cheese until very smooth. Salt and pepper to taste.
- In a 9×13 baking dish add the cooked pasta and pour 1/2 of the cream sauce over it. Top with the tomato and basil mixture. Place chicken on top and add the shredded mozzarella. Place under the broiler until the cheese melts. This is an amazing dish! I hope your family enjoys this as much as mine did. Let me know what you think.