Why go out when you can have a great burger at home in 30 minutes or less? Smashing slices of Vidalia onions into burger patties makes them juicy and delicious, while the simple sauce makes them the best version of your favorite fast food burger. Easy ranch-flavored tater tots take a frozen favorite up a notch using powdered buttermilk, dried herbs and spices.
Total: 30 min
Active: 30 min
Yield: 4 servings
1/2 cup sour cream
1/4 cup ketchup, Sir Kensington’s preferred brand
3 tablespoons relish, Wickle’s preferred brand
About 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce, Lea and Perrins preferred brand
1 large or 2 medium onions, Vidalia when in season or yellow
1 1/2 pounds ground beef, 80/20
Kosher salt and coarse black pepper
About 1 tablespoon canola, peanut or other neutral oil
8 slices American cheese
4 large soft rolls, Big Marty’s plain and sesame preferred brand
Sliced dill/gherkin pickles
Chopped iceberg lettuce
Ranch-Flavored Tater Tots, for serving, recipe follows
Ranch Flavored Tater Tots:
About 1/2 cup powdered buttermilk (see Cook’s Note)
1 tablespoon (scant palm full) dried chives
1 tablespoon dried dill
1 tablespoon granulated garlic
1 tablespoon granulated onion
1 tablespoon dried parsley
1 teaspoon fine sea salt or kosher salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 large bag extra-crispy tater tots, Ore-Ida preferred brand
- Gather your ingredients.
- For the sauce: Combine sauce ingredients in small bowl.
- For the burgers: Heat a large cast-iron skillet or griddle over medium-high heat.
- Peel onions and use a mandoline or large slicing blade of a box grater to shave the onions as thin as possible.
- Place beef in a bowl, season with salt and pepper and score to separate into 4 portions. Roll beef into balls.
- Drizzle oil in pan or over balls and place the meat into pan with 3 inches separating each portion. Top each ball with 1/4 of the onions and press meat into flat patties, bonding onions into meat. Cook beef 3 to 4 minutes, flip, cook and press 2 minutes. Add cheese, 2 slices per burger, and cook 2 minutes more, 7 to 8 minutes total between both sides. Put on patty bun bottoms.
- Serve with sauce, pickles, lettuce and patty bun tops with Ranch Flavored Tater Tots alongside.
Ranch Flavored Tater Tots:
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Whisk up spices in a bowl. Store in the refrigerator in airtight plastic container.
- Bake tots to very crisp, 25 minutes. Top with ranch seasoning to your taste. Makes 3/4 cup seasoning and 6 portions of tots.
- Store powdered buttermilk (available on baking aisle) in fridge after opening. This same homemade ranch seasoning blend can be used on hot popcorn and of course mixed into a dip with sour cream, or a dressing with sour cream, a splash of buttermilk or cream and lemon juice.