PEAR almond Chocolate Honey Spice cake (upside down / reverse cake): Pears land upside down within a fragrant batter enhanced by aromatic spices.
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 3 large, firm, ripe (Bartlet or Bosc) pears (peeled, cored and cut into 8 long wedges)
- 10 ‘Hershey’ chocolate kisses (or 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chunks)
WET cake ingredients:
- 4 xLarge eggs (room temp.)
- 1/2 cup grape seed oil
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup mild Honey
- zest of 1 small orange or lemon
DRY cake ingredients:
- 1 cup All Purpose flour
- 1 cup ground Almond flour
- 1-1/2 tsps. baking powder
- 1 tsp. ground Anise seed…1 tsp. ground ginger…1 tsp. ground cardamom…1 tsp. ground cinnamon spice…1/2 tsp. ground all spice…1/4 tsp. sea salt…1/2 cup roasted Almonds, coarse chopped
- Pre-heat the oven at 350F. Use a 10 inch round cake pan (not springform). Position the rack in the center of the oven.
- Put the butter in the cake pan. Set it in the oven for no more than 5 minutes. Afterwards, remove the pan to add the brown sugar. Stir with a spatula to combine. Add and coat the pear wedges and leave them in ‘freestyle mode’. Sprinkle in the chocolate. Set the cake pan aside.
- In a medium bowl, put together the DRY ingredients (except for almonds). Whisk to combine. Set aside. In a large bowl, beat the eggs on MEDIUM speed. Continue beating as the oil gets added, followed by the sugar. Beat about 2 minutes. Then, continue beating while adding the honey and zest. Add in the prepared DRY mix all at once. Beat on LOW speed for about 30 seconds until traces of flour has disappeared. Do not over mix. Then, fold in the almonds. Pour the batter evenly over the prepared pears.
- BAKE for no more than 35 minutes in a dark pan. Once out of the oven, place the pan onto a rack and let it rest for 15 minutes. Afterwards, pass a knife around the perimeter. Place a serving plate on top of the pan and carefully flip it over. Wait a few seconds before slowly removing the pan to reveal your beautiful cake. Let it cool for about 1 hour before serving.
- Note: tastes even better the next day. Keeps for about 3 days at room temperature. Freeze any leftovers in plastic wrap and into a freezer bag.