Red Velvet Cherry Dream Bars – a red velvet cookie crust, a sweet cheese layer, cherry pie filling, vanilla pudding and a whipped topping make these bars the perfect holiday treat. Or better yet, enjoy them all year ’round.
For these bars, I wanted a red velvet crust because well, Valentine’s Day. I used a cake mix without adding the water to make it more of a thicker cookie base. I’d thought about using the red velvet Oreos , but didn’t think they’d give me the color for the crust I was going for. Since I used the cake mix, I had to use a 9 X 13-inch baking dish. I usually make my Dream Bar recipes in an 8 X 8 dish, but not everything will fit in the pan because the cake mix expands so much. If you want to cut the recipe in half, my suggestion would be to use one package of the Red Velvet Oreos and then proceed with the crust.
- 1 16.5- ounce package Red Velvet cake mix do not follow ingredient directions on package
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 2 3.4- ounce packages instant vanilla pudding
- 3 cups milk
- 10 ounces cream cheese softened to room temperature
- 1 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1 21- ounce can cherry pie filling
- 2 8- ounce containers Cool Whip Dairy Whip can also be used as a substitute
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. and prepare a 9 X 13-inch baking dish by spraying it lightly with cooking spray.
- In a medium mixing bowl, lightly beat the eggs. Add the canola oil and cake mix and mix together until thoroughly combined with no lumps.
- Press batter evenly into the bottom of the prepared baking dish.
- Bake for 12 – 15 minutes until set in the middle.
- Transfer baking dish to a wire rack to cool completely.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the pudding mix and milk. Place into refrigerator to set.
- In a mixing bowl, beat the cream cheese. Add the confectioners’ sugar and combine.
- Fold in two cups of the Cool Whip.
- Place dollops of the cream cheese mixture on top of the cooled cookie crust and spread evenly.
- Place the cherry pie filling over the cream cheese and spread.
- Add the vanilla pudding.
- Cover with remaining Cool Whip.
- Place into refrigerator to set for at least two hours.
- Before serving, decorate with red colored sugar and holiday sprinkles.
If you do not wish to use Cool Whip, I have a Stabilized Whipped Cream that works perfectly in all of my dream bar recipes. For these Red Velvet Cherry Dream Bars, be sure to double the recipe.