We know it’s a mouthful but we’re talking real Italian comfort food here. Most Italian sauces take hours simmering on the stovetop. Not here… The beauty of this fabulous pasta dish is this flavorful sauce comes together in about 30 minutes. In fact, this meal is mostly sauce served over a little spaghetti. Perfect for a Sunday night dinner but also great for a quick weeknight meal. Because this hearty dish is loaded with vegetables, all you’ll need is some skinny garlic bread (see serving tip) and a heart healthy glass of wine. Enjoy…
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 ¾ cups diced onions
- 1 ½ tablespoons minced garlic
- 2 cups cubed eggplant, un-peeled (about 6 ounces)
- 4 ounces dry whole wheat spaghetti
- ¾ cup white wine
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 ½ tablespoons tomato paste
- 6 cups baby spinach (3 oz)
- 1¼ cups halved grape or cherry tomatoes
- 2 cups cooked and chopped chicken breast (skinless)
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- In a large pot, add water and bring to a boil to cook the spaghetti.
- In a large nonstick pan, heat the olive oil over medium-high. Add the garlic and saute for about 1 minute. Stir in the eggplant and cook about 3-5 minutes until eggplant begins to soften.
- In the meantime, add the spaghetti to the pot of boiling water. Cook according to package directions. Drain when cooked.
- Add wine to eggplant mixture and simmer until liquid is almost evaporated. Stir in chicken broth and tomato paste. Simmer sauce until it begins to thicken, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add spinach in handfuls, stirring until wilted. Stir in tomatoes and cooked chicken. Continue to cook until heated through. Season with vinegar, pepper and salt.
- Divide cooked spaghetti among 4 bowls or dishes. Top each with sauce.