Smoked salmon dip is a rich and creamy dip or spread for crackers, bread, or crunchy vegetables. The home smoked salmon takes the flavors to the next level!
SMOKED SALMON DIP
Smoked salmon dip is a classic, and for good reason. The flavors of hardwood smoke and sweet salmon combined with cool cream cheese and fresh lemon make an absolutely irresistible dip! Most recipes you find online call for purchasing pre-smoked and vacuum sealed salmon. There is good quality smoked salmon on the market, but nothing tastes better than smoking that salmon yourself.
There are two different types of smoked salmon; cold smoked salmon which is typically salt cured before being smoked and sliced thin or hot smoked salmon which is cooked through on the smoker and then flaked. For smoked salmon dip, I prefer using a hot smoked salmon that will flake and mix beautifully into the dip.
This recipe only calls for 4 oz of hot smoked salmon (about 1 individual portion) so I usually smoke a whole filet to eat with my family and reserve enough smoked salmon to use in this dip the next day. I season the salmon with simple salt and pepper or with a lemon pepper seasoning before smoking and then cook at 225 degrees F until the salmon reads 145 degrees F internal temperature and flakes when gently pressed with a fork.
SMOKED SALMON CREAM CHEESE DIP
Several variations exist with this dip where you can alter the creamy base of the dip to change the flavors. Some people use mayo or sour cream, but my absolute favorite is a smoked salmon cream cheese dip. There is nothing more iconic or perfectly balanced than smoked salmon and cream cheese.
When preparing this recipe, make sure your cream cheese is fully softened so the smoked salmon combines easily into a smooth mixture. If the cream cheese is cold, it can create lumps in your dip or your salmon will break apart too much when trying to combine everything.
SMOKED SALMON DIP RECIPE
- 4 oz salmon
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon pepper
- 8 ounces cream cheese softened
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 Tablespoon dill weed minced
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- Preheat your smoker to 275 degrees F. Season the salmon with the lemon pepper seasoning and place in the smoker. Smoke until the internal temperature reaches 145 degrees F (about 30-45 minutes). Allow the salmon to cool before flaking.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine all ingredients except the salmon. Stir thoroughly. When well combined, gently fold in the flaked salmon. Garnish with the fresh lemon zest and additional dill (if desired) before serving.
- I recommend serving the smoked salmon dip with crackers, sliced baguettes, and your favorite crunchy vegetables like bell peppers and cucumbers.