This recipe is taken from Chef John Howie’s cookbook, Passion & Palate: Recipes for a Generous Table.
Passion & Palate is a collection of stories and recipes from chef/author John Howie. The man behind this refined palate is a generous, conscientious community-builder, business and personal mentor, and thoughtful family man, who leads from his heart and lives to serve others – guests, employees, family and those in need.
Passion & Palate is endorsed by Chef Maria Hines, Coach Lenny Wilkens, Jay “The Bone” Buhner and many others. It features beautiful color photography and over 240 of your favorite recipes from Chef Howie.
- Canola Oil ¼ cup
- Onion – white, ¼” diced 4 cups
- Beef – diced ¾” x 1” 2 ½ lbs
- Tomato Sauce 1 ½ cups
- Pineapple Juice 3/4 cup
- Red Wine Vinegar 1 ½ tsp.
- Chili Powder – mild ¼ cup
- Ancho Chili Powder 1 ½ tsp.
- Chipotle Chili Powder (measure carefully, very spicy) ¾ tsp.
- Habanero Chili Powder (measure carefully, very spicy) 1/8 tsp.
- Salt – kosher 2 tsp.
- Sugar – granulated 1 Tbsp. + 1 tsp.
- Basil – ground ¾ tsp
- Garlic – granulated ¾ tsp.
- Paprika – sweet ¾ tsp.
- Coriander – ground ¾ tsp.
- Pepper, Black – ground ¾ tsp.
- Cumin – ground ¾ tsp.
- Bay Leaves 3 each
- In a large stock pot or braising pan, place the oil begin to heat, add the beef and the onions and sear until the onions are tender.
- Add the remaining ingredients bring to a simmer, lower heat, and cook covered for 6 hours. Stir occasionally, or the mix can be placed in a crock pot and cooked at
- low temperature for 8 hours
- Transfer, cool, label and hold refrigerated until needed.
- Place the chili into a double boiler (or crock pot), heat until the chili is at 165°. Then hold at that temperature until needed.
- Place the appropriate amount of chili into the cup or bowl. Top with the shredded cheddar, then the tortilla strips, the salsa and the cilantro sprig. Serve.