Total: 35 min
Prep: 20 min
Cook: 15 min
Yield: 6 to 8 servings
Mac ‘n’ Cheese:
1 pound elbow macaroni
5 tablespoons butter
5 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 (4-ounce) jar Thai red curry paste
2 cups whole milk
2 cups cream (alternatively, use 5 cups whole milk instead of both milk and cream)
8 ounces Monterey Jack cheese, grated
8 ounces Cheddar cheese, grated
3/4 cup panko bread crumbs
2 tablespoons butter, melted
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- For the mac ‘n’ cheese: Bring 4 quarts of water to a boil in a large pot. Salt generously, and then add the pasta and cook to box instructions, usually 6 to 7 minutes. Drain.
- In another large pot, melt the butter over medium-high heat. Whisk in the flour and continue whisking until it deepens in color and releases a light toasted aroma, about 1 minute.
- Whisk in the Thai red curry paste, and when fully combined, pour in the milk and cream (or all milk, if using). Bring to a boil, whisking constantly, and then turn down to a simmer. Simmer until the mixture thickens, whisking occasionally, about 5 minutes.
- Off heat, whisk in the cheeses and stir until melted. Add the pasta and toss to combine.
- Turn your broiler on.
- For the crumb topping: Toss the panko with the melted butter and season with salt and pepper.
- To assemble: Pour the mac ‘n’ cheese into a broiler-safe casserole dish, sprinkle with the bread crumb mixture, and broil until browned, about 1 minute.